Besides being of strategic relevance, a strategic project must also be of the highest scientific quality and be beneficial to Sweden. Calls regarding Strategic initiatives are posted for application when the Foundation has identified an area that is in particularly urgent need of support for the good of the country.
Current strategic grants:
- Max IV, SEK 740 million
- Wallenberg Wood Science Center, SEK 850 million in total
- Life Science SEK 2,5 billion during 2014-2026
- Wallenberg Artificial Intelligence, Autonomous Systems and Software Program, WASP, SEK 3 billion in total during 2015-2026, With cofinancing from the universities and the Swedish industry the whole program sums up to SEK 4 billon.
- Wallenberg Centre for Protein Research, WCPR, SEK 340 million during 2016-2023
- Wallenberg Centre for Quantum technology, WACQT, SEK 600 million during 2018-2027