Besides being of strategic relevance, a strategic project must also be of the highest scientific quality and be beneficial to Sweden. Calls regarding Strategic initiatives are posted for application when the Foundation has identified an area that is in particularly urgent need of support for the good of the country.
Current strategic grants:
- Wallenberg Artificial Intelligence, Autonomous Systems and Software Program, WASP, SEK 4.2 billion in total for 2015-2029. With cofinancing from the universities and the Swedish industry the whole program sums up to SEK 5.5 billon.
- Wallenberg Centre for Quantum technology, WACQT, SEK 1.2 billion for 2018-2029. With cofinancing from the universities and the Swedish industry the whole program sums up to SEK 1.4 billion.
- Max IV, SEK 740 million
- Life Science, the Foundation allocates in total SEK 6.2 billion for 2014-2032, including:
- Data-driven Life Science, DDLS, SEK 3.1 billion to 2032
- Wallenberg Centre for Molecular Medicine, WCMM, SEK 1 billion to 2028
- Wallenberg Centre for Protein Research, WCPR, SEK 400 million for 2016-2023
- Wallenberg Wood Science Center, WWSC, SEK 850 million for 2008–2028